#Ashlea is this true?
Yep. She served three terms and is one of our longest serving leaders. The country flourished under her leadership and she promoted disarmament and antimilitarism, free trade, human rights and true democracy. Due to her, we were the first country in the world to sign a free trade agreement with China.
In 2012 she was ranked the 23rd most powerful person in the world.
The Solomon Islands awarded her with [can’t remember the exact name f the honour] for restoring law, order and peace to the nation and our country voted her as the greatest New Zealander.
She and her party
- bulldozed the conservatives to give more power to workers and their unions
- they started “Closing the Gaps” which was a movement targeting Maori employees and trying to make sure they were being paid and treated fairly
- decriminalised prostitution
- legalised civil unions
- started things like Kiwibank and Kiwisaver
- refused to send troops to Iraq
- abolished interest on student loans
- brought in ‘time and a half’- employees being paid their usual wage, plus half that again when working on public holidays + gave workers four weeks’ paid annual leave
- created more than 800 jobs in the mental health sector, most of these jobs being part of a national support system for those suffering mental illness. 800 doesn’t sound like many, but at that point, our entire population was only three million remember
- introduced bills that made buying a house actually do-able for those previously unable
Helen Clark’s a fucking international icon and an absolute pioneer in so, SO many ways. I can’t extol her virtues and strength enough.